[mythtv-users] PVR-250 Input switching

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Nov 17 04:36:26 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 14:59, Lonny Selinger wrote:
> Well after a scratch install I'm getting closer. Is itg possible for Myth to
> switch between interfaces on a single PVR-250? I have my digital channels
> working on the S-Video input (99+) but I can't for the life of me get the
> tuner input (direct cable) to display anything.

(Preface: I read Bruce Markey's response to a similar question before
asking this, so I'm hoping there's at least *one* person out there who
is using multiple inputs on the same card while watching Live TV
successfully.)

Okay - I'm in the same boat.  I wiped my mythtv today and went with a
clean Fedora Core 1 install.  (FYI for anyone trying it: there are some
gotchas...)  I figured, what the hey - now's the time to try this too.
So I've also got the digital channels going in via composite and I've
got coax going to the tuner.

I can't get the tuner to display anything in myth, but I can prove that
the coax connection is working by doing:

/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -p 4
mplayer -xv /dev/video0

and to ensure that the composite connection is working, I do:
/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -p 5
mplayer -xv /dev/video0

So note that in the backend setup I had to associate Composite 4 to the
"Digital: feed.

So if you've gotten this far, you know that its not a connection
problem... sort of... see, if you've gotten this far, you've probably
noticed (as I have) that while the latter example above yields video and
audio, the former only yields video.

Haven't figured that one out yet...

I guess it's time to play with gnome-alsamixer again... sigh...

> Heres the way I have the channels set up right now: 2-61 listed as 'analog'
> assigned to the Tuner 0 input on my PVR-250, and channels (99-300+) listed as
> 'digital' on the S-Video input with the dct-2000 channel program as the
> channel change app for the S-Video input.

Yep - same for me.  Now according to previous postings on the subject,
the recorder will automatically change to the correct tuner to record a
show.  It would be nice if Live TV did so too.  Especially since this
seems like the current preferred way to avoid channel-doubling in the
EPG, no?

> Is it not possible to have the channels split like this? I know you can assign
> more then one srouce to different interfaces, but can you run a split like
> this on the same card? Is there something else I should be looking for? any
> help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Agreed.  Unless I'm missing something here, what's the preferred way for
this type of scenario?  I understand that without external tuners,
multiple cards will use the same xmltv source and thus avoid
channel-doubling.  In fact, the same is true if all sources all use
their own external tuners and share the same xmltv source.  But what
about when the sources are different?

	-I
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME