[mythtv-users] MythTV PVR-350 / TV Hookup Connections Help

Rob Parkhill parkhill at canada.com
Sun Nov 16 02:49:26 EST 2003

Jason Hunt wrote:

[munch]

>Ok, here is where I am confused.  I have a coaxial cable going into my
>satellite from the wall (the satellite in), and have a coaxial cable going
>from satellite (out to TV) to the TV.  I am using the the DirecTV box's
>s-video connection to go to the PVR-350.
>
>I set up MythTV to record a show, but it recorded what was currently playing
>on the TV and not the channel it should have recorded.
>
>What am I doing wrong here?   Can I not watch TV while it is recording a
>specific program?  I doubt this is the case, and I have something setup
>wrong within MythTV or hardware connection set up incorrectly.  Any help
>would be very appreciated.

Unless your satellite reciever had two tuners (which is unlikely), then
you can only watch one channel at a time. The coax output and the
S-video output will always show the same channel, which is whatever you
are currently tuned to.

So no, you can not watch one channel while recording another like you
could with an analog cable connection and a VCR of days gone by... the
digital set-top boxes can only view one channel at a time.

You will need to give MythTV some way to change the channel on you
set-top box. If you look at your connections right now, you will see
that they are one-way... the set-top box is sending information to the
mythtv box, but there is no way for mythtv to send info to your set-top
box. You do this with a serial cable or an IR blaster, depending on your
set-top box.

later...
          Rob