[mythtv-users] PVR-350: driver or motherboard?

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Wed Nov 12 20:42:42 EST 2003

"Jay Goldberg" <jay at ransdoc.com> wrote:
> Has *anyone* been able to use a Hauppauge PVR-350 with MythTV to
> watch Live TV or do recordings for any length of time without a
> system freeze?  I can very successfully watch about 10 minutes
> of Live TV (using TV-Out) with MythTV 0.12 and Jens' Halloween
> drivers.  With the latest CVS from ivtv and MythTV as of 11/09,
> my system was only good for 10 seconds before freezing up.

I've successfully recorded multiple one-hour shows (plus 90 seconds on
either side).  I'm using:

        Asus A7V8X motherboard
        AMD Athlon XP 2500+ CPU
        256 MB PC2100 SDRAM
        ATI Radeon 7500
        Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350
        Creative Audigy Platinum

        Fedora Core 1
        ivtv, mythtv, etc. from ATrpms

I am not yet using the TV out from the 350 as I seem to have lost the
breakout cable.  :-(   I hope Hauppauge will sell me another, and that
it's not too expensive.

I'm using 6 Mbps average, 8 Mbps peak, and am quite happy with the
quality of the MPEG files.  For want of suitable Linux software, I'm
using Womble and DVDlab under Windows to edit the MPEG files and master
DVDs.