[mythtv-users] Dual Tuners SOLVED - Splitting question

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Fri Nov 7 14:32:09 EST 2003

> The new question I have is sort of off topic. I'm curious to know how many
> times you can split a signal (right from the wall) before it starts to degrade
> a lot. Basically I have my current output from the wall split 4 ways  :\  one
> goes to the second tuner, one to my digital box, one to a sepperate cable box

Ok so I found out more from a friend who used to work for my cable company
(feel like I'm wasing peoples time solving my own question but just in case
anyone was wondering ...)

Our signal comes in at around 8-15db, the high end is required for our cabel
modems (not outside teh 15db band). The splitter I currently have runs one
cable directly off the splitter to my cable modem and drops the db by 3db
(high pass on the filter) and the remainder are around 5db or so. Because its
a serial split (obviously the hotter the signal the better), it only drops the
specified rating / connector. The short story is I should notice little to no
signal issues by splitting off of another splitter to two analog feeds going
to both cards.

Adding another splitter that that would be where it starts degrading the
signal significantly (depending on the splitter rating) and for my cable
modem, would not be acceptable at all, but for the TV signal it would still
work, just wouldn't be optimal especially for accomodating changes in the
strength of the signal due to in-line amps from the head end to me or even
weather.

--
Lonny