[mythtv-users] Schedule recordings with STB

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 15:11:21 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 14:48, Jonathon.Schmidt at sasktel.sk.ca
wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>       Well , I have come to a stand still right now in figuring out
> how to get my mythtv to record channels other than what the set top
> box is originally set to.  I have looked into the serial to serial
> connection, which seems to work with many set top boxes.  However, my
> Pace 4000 STB versions have disabled serial ports, so this option is
> out.
>
> I am curious as to what complete functionality the IR remotes Via
> Lirc give me.  The lirc page tells me "
>
>  The  most  important  part of LIRC is the lircd daemon that will
> decode IR signals  received  by  the device drivers and provide the
> information on a socket.  It  will  also  accept  commands for IR
> signals to be sent if the hardware supports this. "
>
>  Does  this  mean  that  I  can  use  Lirc  to  send  a  signal  via
> an IR "transmitter" of some sort to change channels on my set top box
> so that if I want to record channel 4 at 5pm, it will automatically
> change channels?
>
>  Has anyone done this, and would like to help a newbie out?

The Myth documentation is always a good place to start...

Note that some folks have reported issues with trying to use LIRC with
both an IR receiver & an IR transmitter at the same time (i.e., 2 LIRC
devices).  Various solutions have been thrown around; check the mailing
list archives.  Most likely the easiest solution (software-wise) is to
get a single device that combines a receiver & transmitter; however
then you have the problem of how to position it so that it has
line-of-sight to both your cable box and the sofa.

-JAC