[mythtv-users] Newbie problems I am still having and need help!

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 15:04:49 EST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 13:41, Sean wrote:
> Myth is still working for me. I want to say that and get it out of
> the way. Through the incredible advice given to me here and elsewhere
> by those in the know my system has been stable for days if not quite
> feature-complete. Some things on my agenda:
>
> 1. Overscan. I use the FX 5200 series GeForce card (Chaintech). I
> installed the driver with the nVidia script (as the apt-get drivers
> werenąt doing it) and get the hardware acceleration for sure (less
> than 10% CPU load through top when Myth is watching recorded
> programs). Despite working properly in everyway I am unable to get
> overscan to work on the TV.

IIRC, the FX cards have the same overscan support as the GF4MX cards,
meaning that you need *specifically* the 4363 drivers (NOT the latest!)
from Nvidia, then you need to add the overscan option to your
XF86Config.  It takes a value from 0.0 - 1.0.

[snip]

> 3. Ogle. I supplemented Ogle as the default
> player so that I could get the menus (is there a reason that Ogle
> isnąt the default rather than mplayer?). However, I canąt find where
> I edit the Ogle config file to make the player full screen. Also, I
> need to get some basic info on the proper uninstall/install
> procedures as through my own error installed the wrong version of
> Ogle (I need the Ogle-ALSA version since I am using ALSA, right?)

I've never used Ogle, but ALSA is OSS-compatible, so if you don't have
the ALSA-native version of ogle, it should fall back to OSS mode
(assuming it supports that; no reason it shouldn't).  Now, if you're
relying on extended sound capabilities enabled by native ALSA support,
that's another story...

[snip]

> Yes, I am using 0.12. Some of the weird issues I was seeing under
> 0.11 are gone but it feels less responsive. Obviously someone has
> been burning the midnight oil on the IVTV integration and development
> of the Hauppauge card support. It nearly brought a tear to my eye to
> see selectable bitrates. Ok, I have complained enough. I donąt really
> need a detailed explanation of the above, moreover a push to the
> correct info. Thanks everyone!

I've heard several people complain that 0.12 feels less responsive.  I
just upgraded my CVS from about a month ago (pre-0.12) to yesterday's
(post-0.12) and I thought it actually seemed a little snappier.  Oh
well.

-JAC