[mythtv-users] A very simple VCD, SVCD (and DVD) player script for the PVR-350 decoder

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sun Nov 2 13:17:35 EST 2003

On Sunday 02 November 2003 01:10 pm, Torsten Schenkel wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 18:17, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Sunday 02 November 2003 07:54 am, Torsten Schenkel wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > having lots of VCDs and SVCD that I want to be able to watch on my
> > > MythBox (VIA Epia ME6000, PVR350 running the ivtv framebuffer and
> > > decoder) I created a set of small and simple skripts that integrate a
> > > very simple player (based on splicer.c posted by Chris Kennedy on the
> > > ivtv-devel mailing list) into mythdvd and can be used as a simple
> > > standalone, "not a gui at all" vcd/svcd/dvd player.
> >
> > You _should_ be able to just use mythtv as the player for these..
> >
> > "mythtv [filename]" should be able to play back any .mpg file, which
> > these
>
> No, doesn't work here, segfaults immediately. It plays the .nuv files
> and mpeg files ok, but not the raw mpeg streams generated by mplayer.
> mythtv seems to need the headers. Is there a program to create valid mpg
> files from vcds or dvds on the fly? Or do you intend to expand mythtv to
> a full video player? With YUV output of software decoded divx files to
> the pvr350's tv-out?

What headers does it need that those streams are missing?  Got a backtrace?
It shouldn't really need anything other than what's in a standard mpg file..

 It can already handle playback of a bunch of different file formats, thanks
to libavformat/libavcodec, but that's un-supported, doesn't do seeking,
liable to die, etc.

I'll probably support the YUV-out on the pvr-350 -- if there's a good way to
handle A/V sync with it -- at least for standard .nuv files..

Isaac