[mythtv-users] Building a box for Mythtv/Question

Jeff C tuner at hfx.eastlink.ca
Mon May 26 14:45:40 EDT 2003

At 11:30 AM 5/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Thank you for the answers,
>
>You said you feel like you need a bit more processor power, the 1.1 ghz
>is not enough w/the PVR-250? I was looking @ the XP 2100 or so...

I am not a Linux power user or expert but here are my specs and then I'll
tell you about my system performance:

AMD Duron 1.1Ghz Proc
ECS K7S5APro Mobo
384 MB RAM
On board 10/100
USB Mouse/Serial Keyboard
16x Liteon Burner
MSI GeForce2MX 64MB TVOut
SBLive Sound
Onboard sound disable
PVR250 Encoder Card w/Remote
80Gig 5400 RPM Drive
RH9 with KDE as a desktop

The box is dedicated to Myth and is currently making noise in the living
room (definite buy the quietest PS and proc fan you can find).

The system works great for TV watching, and playback viewing.  I get a very
slight jitter about 1-2 seconds in when I first select a channel but I
think that may just be a buffering issue.  The only speed relate issue I
have, is when I have the EPG on screen from live TV, the live TV feed in
the corner will skip if I scroll at anything less than what I'll call
"walking" speed.  If I try to flip full pages on the EPG at anything faster
than "walking" speed it jitters.  I believe this is a processing
issue.  That being said, people on the list are running much slower procs
(at least on front end only machines - mine does both) and I think they are
ok.  I do not have enough background knowledge to really performance tune
things and the outstanding epg thing isn't a big thing for me so I'm ok
with it.  If you want to include other tuners etc you may want more than
the proc I selected.  That's my info FWIW, I'll let others on the list
weigh in.

-Jeff