[mythtv-users] Taking the plunge - General questions about setup and PVR250

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Mon May 26 10:08:54 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 08:04, Myth wrote:

> 1. On the PVR250, does the tv out work?  I would imagine that the mythtv
> overlays and stuff do NOT output via that connection and that is cool
> because I'd like to use that for VCR recording/archiving.

The 250 does not have tv-out.  The 350 does but it is not supported yet.
(that's not a Mythtv problem though, it's the lack of linux driver)

> 2. I have an HDTV and would like to use a VGA to Component Progressive
> transcoder with my mythtv box.  On windows I have to use a special program
> to output custom resolutions and compensate for overscan.  Is that level of
> control available under linx?  Can someome point me to docs that would
> explain how to do that.  I have the appropriate timings and stuff for my
> display.

can't help you here...

> Does anyone else have their mythtv box setup that way?  What do you do about
> 16x9 versus 4:3?  Do you have to leave the set in 4:3 mode or can it add
> bars to 3. the side.  It would be nice to have 16x9 menus in myth (more
> screen real estate) and have it scale 4:3 material with black bars on the
> side.  That way I could also use the machine to play dvds and not have to
> adjust the aspect ratio.

or here...

> 4. One thing that concers me is the response time of the remote and the
> speed of navigating menus.  Is this an issue?  Some HTPC frontends on win
> are very slow on a P4 just because they cannot respond to remote signals
> fast enough. I will be using the PVR250's remote on this system.

or here.

> 5. I've noticed that the redhat setup seems to be tricky.  I am more of a
> FreeBSD guy myself (no mythtv support dang it)  so can you recommend a
> distro that will give me the least headaches.  I know this has been debated
> before but I would like opinions from a BSD perspective.

The are all a bit tricky.  That's the fun part :-).  I haven't tried
redhat.  I use debian (testing).  Methink that the reason you _think_
that redhat is tricky is because it seems like the redhat people are
asking alot of questions lately.  With debian it is REALLY Easy.  you
just apt-get MythTV , hit "enter". and within 15 minutes you are pausing
live tv.

> 6. And finally,  I need this to be pretty stable.  Do you recommend the
> latest CVS or is there a version that seems to be rock solid but may be
> missing the latest features that you could point me to.  (I know myth is in
> devel and there are ongoing issues.)

The latest CVS is (by definition almost) pretty UNstable.  Isaac will be
out with 0.9 soon I hear. By the time you get everything working it will
probably be out and that will be the one you want.

***BTW***, I hope you realised that I was joking about the 15 minutes
with debian. I've been at it for 15 days and I'm still not there yet...
But if I wanted "plug-and-play" I'd keep using my TIVO.

Have fun and tell us which distro you ended up using.