[mythtv-users] Remote control with Directv

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Wed May 21 23:45:56 EDT 2003

Duane Clouse wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I am in the planning, buying and partial building stage of my new
> adventure with MythTV.  I have dug through the mail archives and still
> can't find an answer to a question is running through my head.  I have
> a DirecTV system and am planning on getting the PVR-250 card with
> remote.  I am trying to understand the concept of how I am going to
> change the channel of my DirecTV while still in the OSD of MythTV.  I
> have seen the cable packs by snapstream that ties my "low speed data
> port" on my receiver to my serial port, but is that the way to go?

If you can, that is certainly the way to go.

> If it is, is there a script that I run, or how does that work?  Also I
> have heard to use an IR Blaster, what's the concept with that and how
> do I tie that into the above stated system?  I am not a novice by any
> means with linux, but I am when it comes to multimedia stuff. :)

Yes, Myth calls an external program to change the channel.  The IR
Blaster (emulates remote keypresses to change the channel on your
receiver) and the "low speed data port" do the same thing (change the
channel on your receiver) so you just need to use one or the other.  Of
the two, the direct connection through the serial port is preferable as
it is cleaner and more reliable.