[mythtv-users] Remote control with Directv

Duane Clouse duane_clouse at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 22:00:50 EDT 2003

Ok,

I am in the planning, buying and partial building stage of my new adventure
with MythTV.  I have dug through the mail archives and still can't find an
answer to a question is running through my head.  I have a DirecTV system
and am planning on getting the PVR-250 card with remote.  I am trying to
understand the concept of how I am going to change the channel of my DirecTV
while still in the OSD of MythTV.  I have seen the cable packs by snapstream
that ties my "low speed data port" on my receiver to my serial port, but is
that the way to go?  If it is, is there a script that I run, or how does
that work?  Also I have heard to use an IR Blaster, what's the concept with
that and how do I tie that into the above stated system?  I am not a novice
by any means with linux, but I am when it comes to multimedia stuff. :)

If anyone is running the above scenario or has any suggestions please let me
know how you are doing it, this way I can try and avoid some of the
stumbling blocks that you ran into.

Thanks