[mythtv-users] Unsupress a recording

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue May 20 19:18:22 EDT 2003

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> *Sigh*

Right back at cha... ;-)

> This is exactly the functionality accomplished by my patch.  It adds two
> flags to the database:  PROGRAM.overridesuppression and
> RECORD.ignoreduplicates
>
> PROGRAM.overridesuppression does what you want Single Record to do

No. What I want is to mark a single showing of a single
entry from the program table with no regard to any other
entries in the program, record, recorded or oldrecorded
tables that happen to have the same title. The single
record entry should not be affected by a series record
of the same title. Using the example of attributes that
Chris suggested, I should be able to use a different
recording profile, start/end offsets, etc. for this single
record independent of the attributes assigned to a series
in a separate entry in the record table. If the series is
removed, I want the single record to remain. Sorry to invoke
the T word but this is how TiVo does it and it just plain
makes a lot more sense.

> -- it
> marks a single instance of a program to be forcibly recorded, without
> affecting the current recording type.  You don't need a separate entry in
> the RECORD table.  (Assuming that you've already scheduled the show to
> record with one of the recurring record types)

How do you propose to embed the chanid/start/end to define
the one showing to be recorded? What if there are two or
more instances to be marked to be sure to record? How would
you assign different attributes to one showing? And, you
raise the question of what happens if you choose a single
record then add a series vs. choose a series then add a
single record? And why should a single record of a show
be treated any differently depending on if there is a series
of the same title that is also being recorded.

All of these issues resolve themselves if each single record
is a separate entry. It's easy to see that recording "Pulp
Fiction" at 10AM on the 8th has no impact a timeslot record
of "The Daily Show" at 11PM. It just takes a little leap to
grasp that you could  record "The Daily Show" at 10AM on the
8th ('cause you recorded something else on the 7th at 11 ;-)
and that selection should have no bearing on the timeslot
entry for every 11PM showing.

> RECORD.ignoreduplicates tells Myth to always ignore whether a particular
> program is a duplicate when determining to record a show for a scheduled
> recording.
>
> I'm also going to add PROGRAM.forcesuppress (or maybe make
> PROGRAM.overridesuppression into an enumerated value: 0 - default behavior;
> 1 - force suppress; 2 - force unsuppress) so that you can forcibly SKIP
> recording a single instance of a show.

First, I don't like the word "suppress" because it invites
double negatives. Either you record unique episode by checking
the oldrecorded table or record all showings by the absence
of checking oldrecorded. This should be expressed as a positive
bool like recordall or recordunique. dontnotoverrideunsupress
would just cloud the meaning. Also, either you check oldrecorded
or you don't. I don't see how you arrived at three different
states.

And finally, I want to be clear that treating single record
as a separate entry is one issue and would be a welcome
improvement. Having a choice to record all shows of a series
without checking the oldrecorded table is a different issue
that would be a welcome improvement. Either of these could
be useful to re-record a previously recorded episode but
other than that, they are entirely different features and
both serve a useful purpose.

--  bjm