[mythtv-users] Initial config and HD setup with PVR-250

Vinton Coffman vintonc at redzone.com
Sun May 11 16:30:10 EDT 2003

I'm currently spec'ing the hardware I'm going to use.  Here's what I'm
thinking
Shuttle MN31N mobo nForce2 chipset (ata133, lan, 6 ch audio, firewire,
usb 2.0, etc)
AthlonXP 2500+ Barton
Cooler Master CP5-7JD1B cpu fan
2 X 256MB PC 2700 DDR
Asus V9180 Magic GeForce 4 MX440 8X video card
WinTV PVR-250
Enermax EG365-VE FMA power supply
Seagate 160 GB hard drive
Cooler Master ATC-610-GX1  (after I know everything is working)
Toshiba DVD-ROM drive (maybe)

Q1.  How does this setup with the nVidia chipset sound.  It looks great
on paper, anyone used a similar mobo?

Q2.  I read that the PVR-250 uses about 2 GB/hour.  Is this correct and
does it vary much?  Would it be correct to assume the 160 GB drive will
hold about 75 hours of video?  Seems a little inefficient compared to
tivo.

Q3.  I want the option of adding a second Seagate drive later.  What
should I do in the initial setup to account for this?  RAID?  What
level?

Q4.  RedHat 8 or 9?  Is there any advantage/reliability gains in using
one over the other.

Q5.  I just read that putting a ata33 dvd drive on a 133 bus will slow
it down to 33 MB/s max.  Is this true and should I skip the dvd drive
and only add the second hard drive to the second ide bus?

TIA