[mythtv-users] New to the whole DirecTV thang.

Jeremy Oddo joddo at apixels.net
Thu May 8 16:22:33 EDT 2003

tarek Lubani said:
> While this idea is intuitively appealing, I doubt very much if you will
> have a lot of success with it.. For example, if you want to be able to
> use  the ff/rewind features, that means your signal will experience ~ 5
> second  lag from the time you hit a button on your remote to when myth
> shows it..

DOH!  I totally forgot about that for some reason! :)  But, yeah, I guess
a 5 sec lag would kind of suck!

> My setup here has been to hook up the receiver to my serial port and
> control everything on the receiver through myth..

Sadly, I believe that the dish receiver came sans serial connector.  I
have a "low speed data port" which looks like an RJ-11.  Don't think I can
use that for anything :(

> However, as the myth EPG and interface continues to
> improve, I  think you'll find it an excellent replacement to your
> current setup..

Yeah...the thing is, is that the dish's EPG and OSD is REALLY nice.  Of
course, I haven't had time to really use it but it seems really nice and
clean...and well thought out.  From what I've seen, even though the CVS
version has made significant ground, it's still VERY primitive compared to
the dish's EPG and OSD (please, don't think that I'm slamming Myth,
because I'm not!!  I love Myth!).

I think I would like to see more design/UI tweaks be done to Myth now.  I
mean, there's SO many features in Myth and they are great, but the UI is a
little weak.  Again, I'm not trying to piss anyone off because there HAS
BEEN a lot of hard work going into the interface.  Someone can easily say
"well than fix it", but I don't have the programming chops nor the time
right now to do that...and I think that's a bit of a cop out.  I'm
guessing that most people would like to see Myth move from "computer room
tinkering" to "full living room integration".  Like someone said before;
"yeah, but can my grandma operate it?".  A bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps,
but the point is, if it's in the living room then people from 6yrs old to
60yrs old should be able to operate it.

I think the UI is definitely moving in a good direction, but (and I'm now
ducking behind a huge barrier to protect myself from the angry mob) maybe
we should really start putting some spit-n-polish into the design.  Again,
I'm not bitching, just offering up my two cents.

Jeremy