[mythtv-users] Day Dream MythTV P2P Network

Joe Schmidt joe_schmidt at nospammail.net
Wed May 7 18:10:34 EDT 2003

A separate project to handle P2P videos would be about as legal as any
other filesharing network, and it COULD be an avenue for legal
broadcasts (public domain or self-created works). I agree that MythTV
should stay in the clear, but I'd be glad to work on a project alongside
MythTV that accomplishes streaming P2P. Isolate it from MythTV, but
perhaps make them compatible? I should be worrying about getting MythTV
working first, at any rate.

An idea I had: Someone in Ireland views a streamed broadcast from a
server in France. A person in Germany connects to the person in Ireland,
another German connects to the first German, the German connects to
someone in England, a person in the United States connects to a person
in England, and a person in Canada connects to the person in the United
States. If we treated clients as servers, and made routes to different
broadcasts based on latency, we could have a pretty far-reaching,
scalable network without having some dedicated high-capacity central
servers.