[mythtv-users] two questions, migrating backend, general record

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue May 6 03:39:24 EDT 2003

Eric Estabrooks wrote:
> Two questions for the mythtv masters:
>
> I setup a new box as the master backend, can I just move the files from
> the old master and add then entries to the mysql database and have them
> work?

I didn't see any masters answer this so here's my advice =).

First, backup your database.

The information MythTV uses to find the files is in the
"recorded" table which includes a column for "hostname".
Copy the lines from your database backup file that begin
with "INSERT INTO recorded VALUES" into a separate file.
Search and replace the old hostname with the new hostname
then insert into your new database:

mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < tmpfile

That's all you'll need to playback the copies of your
old recordings on your new system.

If you want instant commercial skipping to work you can
also copy all of the "INSERT INTO recordedmarkup " lines.

Also, if you want to keep the list of shows you like to
record, copy the "INSERT INTO record " lines.

--  bjm