[mythtv-users] MythTV & ASUS Pundit -- Drivers?

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jun 30 04:59:19 EDT 2003

Anything more than 8mb is sufficient for 2d at resolutions of 1024x768
with 32 bit color and 75hz refresh, beyond 8mb is just wasted on 2d.  Of
course for 3d things change... the more memory for storing textures the
better, that's why AGP was created, essentially to allow the video card
to use some system ram for texture storage without interrupting the
processor.

So for a myth box, other than some of the gl visualizations in
mythmusic, your video ram is irrelevant as you cant buy a card today
with less than the minimum 8mb needed for the 2d stuff.

If your card supports mpeg decoding, and it's driver does as well, this
may be a little different (I'm not sure if the card buffers mpeg data or
just plays whats fed to it).

So in my opinion, I'd favor an older card with tv out that is well
supported over a newer powerhouse.  I'm gonna use my matrox g200tv cards
I think, well supported and with the external breakout box I think I'll
experience slightly less interference.

If I had to buy any card for doing tv out... I think I'd look for a
matrox g400... I've heard good things about these cards, and the drivers
have been pretty fully developed.

Why anyone would want to use a newer radeon or gforce card is beyond
me... unless they just have one laying around I suppose.

Just my 2 cents

Joe