[mythtv-users] Does MythTV need a Beginner's FAQ Collection?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jun 26 04:13:06 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 11:56 pm, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> Isaac -- I had initially drafted a lengthy response to your comments below.
> I decided not to send it because this is turning into a fight, and I don't
> feel like fighting. I do need to decide what to do, though.

How was that turning into a fight?  You asked for comments.  I commented.  You
replied rather defensively (and insultingly, too, I thought), which I
wouldn't have thought would be the case if you were actually looking for
comments.

> Here's how I read what you are saying. I get the impression from what you
> write that you think the existing documentation is good (or at least "good
> enough"), that the best that can be said about my efforts is that they are
> harmless (I won't speculate what you think the worst is), and that the only
> reason people keep asking the same questions again and again is because
> they can't be bothered reading the existing docs.

The howto can always be improved, that's a given.

On the point of installing -- simply linking to section 5.4 will not give a
'beginner' the knowledge necessary to compile and install.  There are
necessary steps that are covered in the earlier sections of the howto that
_must_ be done first.  You'd be doing a disservice to anyone attempting to
use your FAQ to answer that question without having that information present.
Rather than include all that in the yet another set of docs, I just thought
that pointing to the proper sections of the howto would be best.  I don't see
why duplicating information in multiple places would be useful, as it just
makes future updates harder.

If you'd like to continue working on the FAQ, please do.  I'm sure it'd be
useful to many people.  If you'd rather not, that's certainly fine, too.

Isaac