[mythtv-users] Does MythTV need a Beginner's FAQ Collection?

Dane Kantner webmaster at cmtweb.com
Wed Jun 25 15:07:15 EDT 2003

> Well, people that are new to linux might not necessarily read it first, as
> they aren't used to the idea of community documentation and support, but
> for those of us that are familiar with linux, but really new to PVR
> functionality, etc, or even to setting stuff like Xwindows up, it would be
> an awesome resource.
I've been following for a few weeks, and am in the process of building my
mythTV box now.  I've asked some stupid questions (probably) on this list,
not because I didn't look for everything in the documentation, but because I
don't feel as though the documentation is as clear as it could be on some
things.  For me, the biggest area of misunderstanding has been how different
software packages and hardware drivers interact with one another.  One of
the biggest things I wish were documented more clearly were (perhaps in a
diagram), is the layers of interaction between components (e.g., mythTV
backend uses hardware that uses bttv drivers which work with v4l, which at
the same level use btaudio or go to sound card.. and then, theres a whole
other side that is known as the myth frontend and it usess x and y and z) .
This, of course, is simplistic, but at the same time its fundamental to
understand before doing anything with MythTV.