[mythtv-users] Couple issues needing help with

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Jun 24 23:46:24 EDT 2003

Shawn wrote:
> Forgive me if these are documented anywhere, but I haven't found them.
> (Feel free to point me to a M to RTF)
>      1. I cannot seem to make mythtv grab from the S-Video input on my
>         AverMedia card, even though I did "setup -> 2. Capture Cards ->
>         /dev/video0 -> Default input = S-Video" Any ideas?

You need to have a Video source with at least one channel
associated with the s-video card input.

>      2. The colors from the TV input are always WAYYY off, this time the
>         color is almost b/w, and usually things are too red, with
>         bleeding too. Ideas?

That's a little vague so here are three possible answers:

1) Sometimes the s-video input can become confused if there
was no signal for a while and go into black and white until the
machine is power cycled (not just rebooted, but shutdown and
powered off).

2) If your card was autodetected as the wrong tuner type, you
could be off by about one channel with the fine tuning off.
If you're seeing channel 5 in black and white or really crappy
colors but you are supposed to be on channel 4, the tuner
type is wrong.

3) If neither of those are the problem, the default color
and contrast values for bt cards are distorted. When solid
colors are fully saturated, medium tones are washed out.
When white and near white are to the point of blooming,
medium intensities are drab.

I find that the colors and intensity are much less
distorted if you set the contrast and colour lower:

$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
mysql> update channel set contrast = 25000;
mysql> update channel set brightness = 32768;
mysql> update channel set colour = 25000;

--  bjm