[mythtv-users] ALSA and PVR-350

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Jun 24 18:21:07 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 05:04 pm, Desmond Rivet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Been reading up on ALSA. It supports full duplex which you need if you want
> to record and watch at the same time, with one sound card.

Well, many in-kernel sound card drivers also do full-duplex.  The issue,
however, is that the ALSA drivers generally works better for older (or very
new) cards.  A bunch of cards that don't work in full-duplex mode with the
kernel drivers work with ALSA.  That's the only reason it's recommended to
install it.

> That being said, I have a PVR-350. As I understand it, the recording
> process does not go through the sound card. Does this mean that ALSA isn't
> really necessary here?

It's not really necessary anywhere except where the kernel sound drivers don't
work.

Isaac