[mythtv-users] Extenal interface to frontend for OSD and other stuff?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jun 20 02:27:26 EDT 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 07:29 pm, Max wrote:
> Have not had a chance to look at this myself yet, but is there an extenal
> programming interface to MythTV frontend?
>
> I mean some way for other programs to pop up OSD messages regardless of
> current state of the frontend? For example a way for a caller ID program to
> generate (timed) message on the screen (if anyone uses elseed or YAC, you
> know what I am talking about)? Or integrate software notification messages
> like "download complete" or "so-and-so came online"

Not yet, but it'd be possible to add this now without too much more work.
Since things are now all controlled in one window, the main window now has
some idea of what state everything's in.  If mythfrontend had listening
socket that would respond to commands like "show message 'x' with responses
'y' 'z'", it'd be pretty easy to direct that to the appropriate display
object, be it a dialog in the OSD, or a popup window in the rest of the UI.
Willing to do some coding?

Isaac