[mythtv-users] 19.9 Removing unwanted channels?

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Fri Jun 13 13:47:46 EDT 2003

Ok, just to be sure: it's the grab script that should do the pruning?
Would it be possible to (also) define it in the database?
I tried to see if I could set the channel number in the database to
NULL, thinking that NULL would be an obviously illegal number so MythTV
would hopefully ignore it. It doesn't of course, but it could be made I
guess.

What I imagine is that this is another difference between the parts of
the world: probably in the States there are so many channels that you
could save quite a lot of time not retrieving the information about
channels you're never going to watch anyway. Is that true?

Here the tv_grab_nl_wolf script just downloads a pregenerated xml file
containing all the possible channels (there aren't that many, about 30
max I think). The script is extremely simple as you can imagine
filtering on top of the database would keep the script as simple as it
can be. Even better, you could easily make an interface where you could
select which channels to show and which to hide.

But again, if the practical situation in the rest of the world prevents
you from just downloading all channel data this wouldn't be much of an
option for the rest of you. (still would be nice though if MythTV and
MythWeb would ignore channels with NULL channel numbers ;-).

Cheers,
 -Tako