[mythtv-users] Ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jun 10 12:13:57 EDT 2003

My old mythtv box blew up (the magic smoke escaped from its power
supply), so I've replaced it with all-new parts.  Unfortunately, this
means I have to get mythtv configured to work with all the new parts.
:-(

I've currently got a Athlon XP 2600+ on an A7V333 motherboard.  The
motherboard's got a built-in CMI8738 soundcard (/dev/dsp).  I also
have an ES1938 (/dev/dsp1).

The capture card is a WinTV-GO (/dev/video).

I can't seem to get btaudio to work.  If I modprobe btaudio, it attaches
to /dev/dsp2.  But if I do "strace cat /dev/dsp2", the open() succeeds
just fine, but the "read()" hangs forever, never returning data.

So I try the ES1938 card.  The audio patch cable goes from the line out
on the WinTV card to the line in on the ES1938 card.  mythtv is
configured to read audio from /dev/dsp1, and output audio to /dev/dsp.

I run everything, and in LiveTV, it works fine, until I change the
channel.  At that point, mythbackend starts spewing

Ran out of free AUDIO buffers :-(

forever, and audio becomes useless.

I tried 0.9 (debian unstable package) and today's CVS, with the same
results.

Any ideas?  I'd be happy to do any suggesting debugging, even onto
some kernel hacking.  :-p

Thanks,

   - Ian