[mythtv-users] Remote control (Off topic)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 10 11:56:14 EDT 2003

Note: please do not send HTML or RTF formatted mail to this list.

Now, I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but I'll describe
my setup for you and maybe it'll help.

I'm assuming that you:
(1) have your PC displaying to your TV only (no second monitor)
(2) have no IR remote

Point (2) (if true) is your stumbling block.  Without a remote or a
keyboard, there's no convenient way to control Myth.  Your only real option
would be to use something like "x2x" from your VNC viewer session on another
PC in the house.  If you have a laptop with WiFi it could work OK (I've done
it with osx2x on an iBook).  'x2x' basically allows you to redirect your
keyboard/mouse input from your current display to a remote one.

Here's my setup for reference:

- PC (frontend/backend) in living room w/TV-out & serial IR-receiver (IrMan)
   Runs:
		- mythbackend (starts up via an rc init script)
		- lircd
		- mythfrontend & irxevent (autlogin with gdm, using FVWM as window
manager)
		- VNC KDE desktop as display :2

Now, if I didn't have my IR remote, I could go upstairs to my other
(Windows) PC, run VncViewer to bring up my myth box's :2 session, then run
x2x on that and point it to display :0 (my TV).  Now the keyboard/mouse
input from my VNC session will be redirected to my TV display.  This
obviously works much better if you can actually see the TV while you're
doint this :-)

If you have another Linux box running X it's even easier, since you don't
need the VNC session, you can just run x2x on the other Linux box.

Note: for x2x to work, you need appropriate permissions to connect to the :0
display on the Myth box.

FWIW, I recently splurged and added a USB wireless RF keyboard/mouse combo
(http://www.gyration.com) to my Myth box, which really makes things nice.  I
added a 'Misc' menu with options to bring up a terminal window, web browser,
or a VNC viewer session.  Very nice, but might not be useful depending on
the size/quality of your TV picture (I have a 60" screen, which is
tolerable).

I hope this answered your question...

-JAC