[mythtv-users] Re: Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted

Pete Hartman mythtv at elmegil.net
Thu Jun 5 23:44:13 EDT 2003

At 03:41 PM 6/5/03 -0400, Latka wrote:
>The problem that I am trying to workaround is that my DSL line comes in
>through the back of the house (with my main PC in close proximity), and my
>DirecTV line comes in through the front (with my TV next to it, and where
>I'd like my future, small, quiet MythBox to be), which creates a problem in
>locating the front and back ends.

My solution to the exact same problem (well, I don't have DTV) is a
wireless access point (I got a D-Link 713P for $50 after rebate) and a
wireless bridge (also a D-Link, also $50).  My WAP is in the back of the
house with the other computers and the DSL line, and my Myth box will just
plug into the wireless bridge once I move it permanently to the living room.

If you have a box with enough PCI slots you could use a normal wireless PCI
card as well, but I wanted to minimize cards.