[mythtv-users] Re: Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted

Latka latka at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 5 16:41:43 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Biro" <vabiro at yahoo.com>

> If you want to use wireless (and I sure do), I would stick with an
> enterprise-grade product, or use 10/100baseT wired. In any cse wired
> connections will always be faster than wireless, so pulling wire would
offer
> sometning with a longer life as you needs evolve.
>
> I'm curious how you make out with this. Could you let me, and maybe the
list,
> know how you make out?

The problem that I am trying to workaround is that my DSL line comes in
through the back of the house (with my main PC in close proximity), and my
DirecTV line comes in through the front (with my TV next to it, and where
I'd like my future, small, quiet MythBox to be), which creates a problem in
locating the front and back ends.

Based on what I'm gathering (thanks to folks who have replied), I have two
1. Run a cat-5 cable through the house
    - Assuming the mythbox is diskless, it would boot off network, and would
contain the video card and capture card, and simply store everything on a
remote disk.
    - Poking holes in the walls isn't an option, so I'd have to run it along
the baseboard, crossing through two rooms (cabling under one door).

2. Make it a dedicated mythbox (with HD, vid card, and capture card) running
both front/back locally
    - Use a wireless connection to connect to the other boxen and surf, etc,
but nothing too demanding

3. Do both 1 & 2 (wired & dedicated box)

Right now I am leaning toward 2, since I dislike cables, especially in
doorways, and it seems like everybody wishes they had more storage, so it's
an excuse to buy another monster HD. Additionally, I can always run that
wire if I really do need network storage (or wait to see what WiFi-g can do
under linux).