[mythtv-users] Do I need a tuner card with DirecTV?

Latka latka at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 5 16:25:02 EDT 2003

I'm a little green in the area of capture/tuner cards, and can't seem to
find a definitive answer to one question: If I'm using a satellite receiver
(DirecTV RCA 420RD), do I actually need a TV tuner card or just a video
capture card (I'm guessing that there are cards that simply captured an
already "tuned" source)?

My sat receiver has both S-Video and composite (RCA) outs, so I'm guessing
that a TV tuner in my (to-be-built)myth box would be useless, although I
would like a radio tuner.

Thanks.