[mythtv-users] DirecTV -- Satellite Serial Port -- How can I build the cable?

Jeremy Oddo joddo at apixels.net
Tue Jun 3 16:25:41 EDT 2003

John Klimek said:
> Thanks for the help guys.
>
> The receiver I have is an RCA DRD430RG.  On the back it has a "low speed
> data" port.

Am at work and can't see which box I have, but it's probably close in
model number to yours....

> What exactly do I need to purchase?  I've built Super Nintendo LPT
> adapters so I'm familar with DB25 adapters and such.
>
> I'm assuming I need a DB9F (9-pin female connector) connector and a
> regular RJ45 connector.
>
> What I'm confused about is which pin goes to which color on the RJ45
> connector.

OK, this is what I did to slap something together *quickly* to test it
out.  I got a 9pin serial extention cable, cut one end off, got an old
phone cord, cut one end off, stripped wires and solders as below:

Serial Pins     RJ-11 Pins
-----------     ----------
     5              1
     2              2
     3              4

To find which wire is which, I used a circuit tester--took a minute or so.
 Of course, if you don't have a tester, it's a little harder :)  If you
need the actual COLORS, I can tell you tonight when I get home (if I still
have my crib sheet laying around).  I *think* the color codes are
standard.

Let me know if that helps.

Jeremy