[mythtv-users] Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Jun 3 09:52:21 EDT 2003

At 05:17 PM 6/3/2003 +0200, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
>> From time to time, we see on this list postings of particular
>> configurations, along with discussions of what the problems were and
>> what special considerations were involved. That, I suspect, is what
>> beginners really need ... well-written descriptions of particular
>> approaches that succeeded. Several of these would, in the end, help newcomers
>
>Maybe, but just having them in the newsgroup archive does not make them
>accessible to the target group. I wouldn't have known that these are
>discussed here at all (thinking that hardware configs are offtopic on such
>a list) and even now that I know, I wouldn't know what keywords to search
>for to get specifically these "well-written descriptions". Searching for
>"Athlon" or "WinTV" would turn up way too much, eh, "discussion". So, if
>you have some particular posts in mind, maybe you could relocate them and
>post them on the website somewhere?

I think this is a great idea, Ben. You are certainly correct that searching
the list for these posts is laborious ... I cannot think fo a good search
strategy either. But as you may not realize, I do not have write access to
the Myth Website. So someone who does (Isaac? Robert?) will need to do this
... assuming, of course, that he or she agrees with us that it is a
worthwhile activity.

Related to this ... it occurs to me that the closest thing to a definitive
"recommended hardware" list would be Isaac's own configuration. Since he
tests his work on it (I presume), it is the one configuration we know to
work, at least tolerably well, with current CVS, and probably with the
prepacks of Myth as well. Perhaps a detailed description of that
configuration (or a more prominent pointer to it, if it already exists)
would provide a lot of the base that newcomers want and need.