[mythtv-users] PVR-350 S-Video records in black and white...

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Jun 1 19:58:43 EDT 2003

Desmond Rivet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This isn't strictly a MythTV question, but it's related, so I thought
> I'd try my luck here.
>
> I have a Scientific Atlanta (SA) Explorer 2200 for my digital cable. I
> managed to install the IVTV drivers for my new PVR-350 card and I
> managed to successfully cat some video from /dev/video0.
>
> The PVR-350 has a single S-video input. If you want to use a composite
> input, you must use the composite to s-video converter that comes with
> the 350 package.
>
> Here's the thing: when I connect the composite output of the SA box to
> the PVR-350 via the composite to s-video connector, everything seems to
> record fine. I manage to get a snippet of color TV. However, when I use
> the s-video output from the SA box and connect that directly into the
> PVR-350 card, I can only record in black and white.  Weird.
>
> Not sure what's going on here. I tried connecting the SA S-Video out to
> my TV via the very same s-video cable that I used with the PVR-350 and
> the color seems fine on my TV.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?

I've seen a similar thing with other models of bttv cards.
After mucking with the connection with system up and
seeing a blue screen, when I got the signal reconnected the
picture was black and white through the s-video connector.
This happened twice and each time it was fixed by powering
down the machine. Reloading the drive or rebooting didn't
help, I had to power off and drain the electrons.

--  bjm