[mythtv-users] Universal Remotes with your IR Receiver?

John Rives john.rives at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 10:31:26 EDT 2003

Along the same lines I can share the following experience:

I bought a Chicony IR Wireless Keyboard model KB-9820. The keyboards IR
receiver plugs into the PS2 ports for keyboard and mouse. Range was pitiful
(about 10 ft) - so I started looking for a remote control to replace it.
Three attempts were made to find one that works...

1. RadioShack 15-2103 - $14.99 @ RadioShack -- Nice layout. Good feel. All
around great remote control. Has "learning" functionality. Unfortunately, I
can only learn approx 10 keys from the keyboard before it runs out of
memory. :(

2. RCA RCU-810 - $49.99 @ BestBuy -- Not as nice layout, heavy. Has LCD
screen at top. Learns about 1/3 of the keyboard codes, the rest of the time
it says "Error" when trying to catch the code. :(

3. Sony RM-VL1000 - $53.49 @ BestBuy -- This remote does not have the
perfect layout for PVR, but it learns each keyboard code without a problem.
It has a nice solid feel to it and did not put up any fuss learning my other
remotes either. :)

Please keep in mind, this is just my experience. You may find that RCA or
RadioShack remote controls work better with your setup. The Sony remote
isn't perfect - but it looks nice and is very functional.

John