[mythtv-users]Help needed -- cant run setup on Mandrake 9.1, getting qt-MySQL error

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Sun Jul 6 15:08:27 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 11:39  AM, Mike Miller wrote:

> I did mean it the other way around, however I did not run it w/ -p, the
> intallation how to says
> Mandrake 9.0 and Red Hat Linux
>
> $ mysql -u root < mc.sql
>
> I extracted that file from the tar, tried again, mysql -u root -p <
> mc.sql and it said enter password, so I typed in my root pass and then
> it said ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using
> password: YES)

mysql keeps separate passwords than the rest of your system. So  mysql
-u root < mc.sql would be correct if you have never manually set a
password for mysql, and mysql -u root -p < mc.sql would be for if you
have set a password manually.

I think you are a bit confused. I'll try to help. First figure you
whether you even have a password set for mysql. Do this:

> % mysql -u root

if no password is set, then you will see the following:

> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 13 to server version: 3.23.53-entropy.ch
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql>

now type "exit"

If that didn't work try this:
> % mysql -u root -p

and then when prompted use any passwords that you may have set in the
past. When you hit the right one you will get this:

> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 13 to server version: 3.23.53-entropy.ch
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql>

Ok, hopefully now you know whether you have a password or not, and if
you do, what it is. If you do have a password you must use the "-p"
when giving mysql commands. If you don't have a password, skip the "-p".

So now it is time to go to the database directory and do either:

mysql -u root -p < mc.sql
or
mysql -u root  < mc.sql

depending on whether you have or don't have a password set.

Do not expect any output from this command. If you want to check
whether you were successful try this:

mysql -u root -p
or
mysql -u root
(again depending)
then once you get a mysql prompt do:
mysql> show databases;

you should see a list of your databases including one called
"mythconverg" If you have that one you are all set and you can go to
the next step.

best,
Cedar