[mythtv-users] Sound problems, suggestions please.

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Wed Dec 31 17:00:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, michael brown wrote:

> I'm new to mythtv and mine says the same thing even though I have Alsa
> installed as well.  I also had "alsa" in my USE varible whithin
> make.conf when I emerged mythtv, so I'm not sure that following Jelle's
> advice will help.  I'd like to know if it does change the startup
> message about OSS, or if myth just always says that.

Myth defaults to using OSS, and there's some manual setup that's required
to use ALSA native (as opposed to the OSS compatibility that ALSA can do).

ALSA support will be compiled in if you have alsa in your USE flags. To
actually use it set Myth to use the device "ALSA:hw:x,y" (where x is your
sound card # starting with 0, and y is the output desired from the sound
card) instead of "/dev/dsp".

For example, to get analog out from by NForce audio, I use "ALSA:hw:0,0".
For S/PDIF out, I use "ALSA:hw:0,1".

Hope that helps :)

Drew

--