[mythtv-users] nuvexport Questions

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Dec 23 12:29:08 EST 2003

> But after 18hrs of encoding, the mpg (SVCD) has the commercials in the
> movie.  This makes a 1 hr movie too long for the SVCD, 800MB with
> commercials, 700M with them cut.  Try again and no commercials ?

This is a mythtranscode issue.  I've heard of other people with the
problem, but since I always transcode-cut my shows, I've never seen it.
nuvexport always sends the --honor-cutlist flag (or whatever it is) to
mythtranscode when you tell it to use the cutlist.

On an off note, the 700 meg "data" size of a CD is not appropriate for
SVCD.  VCD's and the like store the content in stream format, like an
autio CD, using parts for data that on a "data" disk would normally be
used for parity and other meta information.  An 800 meg mpeg file will
fit onto a 700M cd with overburn (since after you run it through
vcdimager, it'll be about 810-815 megs).  A 795 meg mpeg will produce
about an 805 meg .bin file, which fits fine on every cd I've ever tried.

> Also, as a feature, could it be possible to split the SVCD ?  A 2hr
> movie encodes to 1.8GB, too much for the 700MB CD.

nuvexport sets the "split" settings for svcd mpeg files at 795 megs, but
for some reason none of the mplexers seem to be doing this properly for
users (I tested it when I originally wrote the setting into nuvexport,
and it worked, but since then no one has been able to make it work -
I'll see what I can do to poke around with it again).  I have yet to
find a good program for cutting mpeg2 files, though I hear that
avidemux2 does work...  Can someone confirm that for me?

-Chris