[mythtv-users] Problem with input changing on a Gateway card

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 19 20:13:16 EST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 12:12, Bret Wade wrote:
> By trial and error, I've found that I can
> watch live TV from Tuner0 by setting the following values for inputs:
>
> /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -p 5
> /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -v input=1,output=1
>
> I haven't seen any mention of anyone else using these values, so I
> assume it's either a peculiarity of the Gateway card or something about
> my setup. The problem is that when I try to record a program, the input
> parameter gets reset to 4 and and I record static. I'm able to work
> around this by setting the input back to 5 in my channel change script,
> but I'm concerned that this issue might indicate that I've got something
> configured wrong. Can anyone explain why the input is getting reset and
> where the default value of 4 is coming from?

Yep, see below...

> Some more information is that when I run the /bin/dmesg command, I see
> "Found an unknown chip, treating it like an iTVC15" instead of the
> expected, "Found an iTVC16 based chip". I have /etc/modules.conf set
> according to Jarod's guide but I've also tried "options tuner type=8"
> which I found mentioned by another Gateway card user. The behavior
> didn't change except that the default became  1 instead of 4.

Huh. If the cat /dev/video0 captures work, I wouldn't worry about the "Found
an unknown chip" message.

> Capture card definition:
> Video device: /dev/video0
> VBI device: /dev/vbi
> Audio device: /dev/dsp
> Audio sampling rate limit: 48000
> Default input: Tuner0

Here's your problem. Tuner0 is the input that matches -p 4 (usually), and it
is for a coax hookup (antenna or non-digital cable). I presume your Sony
receiver is feeding the card via S-Video. Change the default input from
Tuner0 to S-Video0 (or whatever it is, I'm recalling from memory).

> Input connection:
> [MPEG:/dev/video0](Tuner 0) -> Satellite

And change that (no source attached to Tuner0, Satellite attached to
S-Video0).

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...