[mythtv-users] Gentoo and ivtv - HELP!!!

David Latka d_latka at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 14:11:40 EST 2003

Problem Solved!

It turns out that if there is a directory in /lib/dev-state, then a
directory of the same name will be created in /dev when the computer is
rebooted.  Thus negating the effects of:
	REGISTER       ^v4l/video0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink v4l/video0 video0
in the /etc/devfsd.conf file.

To solve this problem, I simply deleted the directory /lib/dev-state/video0
and now the symlink that is defined in /etc/devfsd.conf is created correctly
on reboot.

When I upgraded the kernel, the same directory/reboot problem started to
occur on /dev/dsp after I did 'emerge alsa-driver'.  Again, removing the
directory /lib/dev-state/dsp fixed this problem.

I hope this solution will help others with the same or similar problems.

Again, Thanks to everyone who responded with help.
Dave Latka