[mythtv-users] Serial control of sky digibox (UK set top box)

Pete's MythTV myth at scantech.no-ip.com
Fri Dec 19 08:17:47 EST 2003

I'm not a Sky user, but I have a suggestion.

Most of the Sky Digiboxes have a feature that allows an external IR receiver
(for a TV in another room) to send remote control commands back in to the
Digibox via the RF Out-2 connector.  The control must be either an RF
carrier back into the box, or a variable current load on the +9V supply on
the connector. I can't find anything on the protocol, but it should be easy
to figure using an oscilloscope (if dc control) or spectrum analyser (if RF
protocol).

It should be fairly easy to modify a commercial remote extender device to
connect to Myth's serial Lirc output rather than listen for an IR signal.

Pete

p.s.  The Motorola aka GI DCTxxxx boxes cannot do this, so all you US guys
please don't ask.