[mythtv-users] Best distro for EPIA?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Dec 19 04:47:56 EST 2003

On Dec 18, 2003, at 10:37 PM, Torsten Schenkel wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 02:47, Clay wrote:
>> My ME6000 should arrive tomorrow.  As I prepare for it, I'd like to
>> get
>> some suggestions as to the best distribution to use with it -- Redhat,
>> Gentoo, Debian, etc.  I know Torsten Schenkel has put up instructions
>> on getting Myth working on the exact set-up I'm using (ME6000, PVR350)
>> under Debian.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?
>
> I won't jump at this bait, no, I won't jump ....

Heh, me neither... =]

>> Also, I'm moderately experienced in Linux and setting machines up, so
>> the difficulty level of getting a distro working is not quite as
>> important -- I'm looking for best speed, compatibility, ability to get
>> Myth running, etc.
>
> If you know a distribution best, why not take that?

What he said. I'd definitely recommend using whatever you're most
comfortable with to start out. Just as long as you don't say Lindows.
:)

> In that case there
> is the epia 2.4.23 kernel and the possibility to get XFree running on
> it
> is there (I didn't test, since I have XFree 4.2 and the driver needs
> 4.3). It doesn't depend on distribution, it's mostly building stuff
> yourself. And you better do that on a system you know where the buttons
> are.

I'm going to start hacking apart my HushPC this weekend, using the epia
kernel and my spare AVerMedia M179... I'll probably go with Debian,
partially since your [Torsten's] docs will apply for the most part, and
partially so I can try out Progeny's Anaconda port.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/