[mythtv-users] Best distro for EPIA?

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Fri Dec 19 01:37:49 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 02:47, Clay wrote:
> My ME6000 should arrive tomorrow.  As I prepare for it, I'd like to get
> some suggestions as to the best distribution to use with it -- Redhat,
> Gentoo, Debian, etc.  I know Torsten Schenkel has put up instructions
> on getting Myth working on the exact set-up I'm using (ME6000, PVR350)
> under Debian.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I won't jump at this bait, no, I won't jump ....

> I will be using Myth and all its modules (mythgame and mythmusic
> especially) almost exclusively on this machine.  I know asking for the
> "best distro" usually starts a holy war, but since the EPIA is a
> speciality board and I want its onboard video to work well (just in
> case the PVR350 doesn't satisfy me 100%) as well as its SPDIF audio, I
> guess this is all good to know.

My instructions include the pvr tv-out only. The TV out onboard didn't
satisfy me, so I abandoned it. SP/dif works nicely.

If you need it for divX playback or something else. The best bet is to
go the redhat 9.0 road, there are via binary drivers for the onboard VGA
and TV-out. You have to stick with redhat's stock kernel and it can (or
will) be a PITA for beginners to compile modules against redhat stock.

> Also, I'm moderately experienced in Linux and setting machines up, so
> the difficulty level of getting a distro working is not quite as
> important -- I'm looking for best speed, compatibility, ability to get
> Myth running, etc.

If you know a distribution best, why not take that? In that case there
is the epia 2.4.23 kernel and the possibility to get XFree running on it
is there (I didn't test, since I have XFree 4.2 and the driver needs
4.3). It doesn't depend on distribution, it's mostly building stuff
yourself. And you better do that on a system you know where the buttons
are.

Torsten
--
Config files for PVR350 TV-Out: