[mythtv-users] More Reading, More Questions

Myth Man mythtv at pln.cc
Sun Dec 14 08:43:17 EST 2003

Hello mythtv-users,

It seems that the more reading and research I do, the more questions I
have.

I have been researching the WinTV-350/250 PVR and the WinTV-HD.
(Much thanx to Jacob and his thouroughly enjoyable guides and pages)

Near as I can see, the ONLY difference between the 250 and the 350 is
FM capability.  350 has it.  250 does not.  Does anyone using either
(or both) of these products concur with that?  Or is there something
else that is not in the spec sheets?

With regards to the remotes.  I plan on having two WinTV PVRs
installed, plus a WinTV-HD (more on that later). I forsee a remote
conflict possibility. If so, can that be worked around? Also, is the
IR sensor embedded in the card? Or is it connected by wire?

Finally, I researched TitanTV as the PVR cards said it supported TitanTV.
Is that how most Myth people get their programming data? What other
options are available here in the US?

With regards to WinTV-HD. What is it's relationship to the other
cards?  It is billed as a TUNER, but I would think it would have to be
a DISPLAY card as well.  Is that accurate?  Also, CNET REVIEWS gave it
a "Mediocre" rating.....
http://shopper.cnet.com/Hauppauge_WinTV_HD__PCI_TV_Tuner_/4505-3002_7-4621562.html?tag=pdtl-img
The comments made were interesting, but seemed to center around
software issues which I am thinking won't be an issue with my use.
I did find another card.  AccessDTV DMRS.
http://www.accessdtv.com/accessdtv/choosearea.htm
It seems to have better reviews and it's more then $100 cheaper then
the WinTV-HD.  But is it supported?
Are there other options for HD with MythTV?

My apologies for all the questions, especially if they are stupid
ones.  :^)  But I plan on putting quite a bit of time and money into
setting up my MythTV system and I want to insure that I don't get
half-way thru and find myself stuck.

Many thanx in advance.

--
Best regards,