[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide- ivtv, QMYSQL3 driver not loaded, mythtvuser cannot run setup

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Dec 14 03:43:28 EST 2003

On Dec 13, 2003, at 18:34, Michael Starks wrote:

> I decided to use RH 9 and Jarod's (excellent) guide.

=]

> Problem #1:  I cannot run mythtvsetup as the (non-privileged) mythtv
> user
> but I can run it as root.
> I get the error about 'QMYSQL3' driver not loaded.  I have searched
> extensively through the archives and looked at the docs.  The docs
> indicate
> the proper way to compile qt with MySQL support, however I don't think
> that
> applies since I used apt-get to get precompiled binaries.  I have qt
> in my
> path.  QTDIR is not defined for mythtv or root but it didn't seem to
> matter.
> I defined it manually and no-go.  /usr/lib/qt-3.1/plugings is in the
> library
> path when checking in qtconfig.
>
> Q:  Should I be able to run mythtvsetup as the non-privileged mythtv
> user?
> I would assume so, since Jarod's guide indicates that step with a '$'
> prompt.

Yes, you definitely should be able to run it as a non-privileged user.
I've never run into a case where I *couldn't* run it as a
non-privileged user... :-\

> Problem #2: Mythbackend no longer starts--same error.
> This was working and I don't know what I did to make it stop, but it
> has to
> be related to the mythtv user problem since it is the same error
> message.

Hm... Did some permissions somewhere get changed (to root-only rwx, or
something)?... I'm at a loss on this one. Is your mysql daemon running?
(/sbin/service mysqld status)

> Problem #3: ivtv driver is not being used
> When I was able to start the backend and watch tv, it was jittery.  I
> noticed on the terminal windows after exiting that the ivtv driver was
> not
> being used.  It must have been used in KnoppMyth, since performance
> was good
> on a slightly lesser machine.  I can successfully perform the ivtv
> tests in
> Jarod's guide, so I know it's installed and working.

If it works with the tests, it ought to work fine in MythTV, once
you've successfully completed mythtvsetup. I wouldn't worry about this
one until you figure out what's up with not being able to run
mythtvsetup...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...