[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Dec 9 13:59:21 EST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Kevin wrote:

>         I do not have a bttv card (what is this?) in my system. I just have a PVR-350 but I notice that the bttv drivers are loaded as well. I too am running Mandrake 9.1 and I guess they got installed by default? The ivtv drivers (0.12) are loaded and working fine with the PVR-350 except for this freeze thing going on. As I said in my earlier post, mythfrontend freezes randomly either in Live TV or playing a recording. It does not affect mythbackend at all and it continues to record scheduled programs without any problems. So far I have noticed that when the freeze occurs it is in response to my doing something in mythfrondend such as skipping forward/backward, pausing or whatever. If I kill mythfrontend and try to restart it, it is unable to talk to mythbackend and I have to reboot to get things working again. This, of course, becomes a problem if I am recording something at the time. Again I am running Myth 0.12 on a VIA EPIA M10000.

The bttv card/drivers are the standard software encoding cards like
Hauppauge WinTV/GO cards.

As for the front-end freeze...
I too have seen some similar stability issues, but last night after
it "froze" when I deleted or scanned, I let it sit for a couple
minutes and it recovered.  Seemed like something of a temporarly
lockup.  I tried shutting off the auto commercial scan to see
if that will help, as it seems to be more often a pause after
the recording is complete.  Its too early to know if this helped.

Brian