[mythtv-users] Live TV - Scheduled Channel Change?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 11:55:39 EST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 19:54, Chris Delis wrote:
> Is it possible to schedule a channel change from within Myth?
>
> I thought that it might be a nice feature to add to the Recording
> Options screen.  Let's say you are watching Live TV and find an
> interesting program from the Program Guide (but it's not "worth"
> recording); it might be nice to have Myth automatically change the
> channel when the program comes on so you don't miss it.  My Sony
> DirecTV box has a similar feature. I couldn't find mention of it in
> the archives.  Just a thought. . .
>
> If it exists already, then I apologize.  If it doesn't, then this
> might be a good chance for me to develop a patch.

Well, LiveTV *is* recording (just to a ringbuffer, not a file).  So the
current solution (and quite satisfactory, I feel) is to mark the show
for single record (press 'R' in the EPG or in Browse mode while
watching LiveTV).  When the show starts, Myth will pop up a dialog
asking if you want to keep watching the current program, stop watching
altogether (& record the program), or watch the program as it records.
The only extra step you'd want to take is to delete the program when
it's done.

This is actually a good solution, since you get better performance
watching from a recording/recorded file than you do watching from the
ringbuffer, plus you eliminate the possibility of losing your
ringbuffer if you accidentally change channels.  The only thing you
can't do with this approach is channel surf.

-JAC