[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 400SC and ATI 8500DV

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 13:53:50 EDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 11:31 US/Pacific, Kirby Vandivort wrote:

>> Yeah, you're SOL on the AIW, but there's no reason a Dell PowerEdge
>> 400SC won't work as your base for a MythTV box (though it is a bit
>> spendy, all things considered). And definitely get more than the base
>> 128MB of RAM. Some people are happy w/256, while some still get
>> swapping at that point. At least 384 should eliminate all swapping.
>> There's really no need for ECC memory either. And a 40GB hard drive is
>> a touch on the small side if you're going to do much recording.
>> Personally, I think you could do far better than that system, and for
>> less money...
>
> _far_ better that $299 ?  For less money?  Do tell.  I'm curious.

$299 isn't going to get you everything you need. You'd have to add a
larger hard drive, a capture card, more memory, probably a video card
(it doesn't say what is included, but servers often have very
low-powered cards and no TV out), you might want a DVD drive instead of
a CD-ROM if you want to use MythDVD, and a Celeron 2.0GHz is mediocre
for that system price.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE