[mythtv-users] extra buttons on WinFast TV2000 CoolCommand remote

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 10:43:58 EDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org]On Behalf Of
>Joel McKee Cooper
>Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 6:14 PM
>To: Discussion about mythtv
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] extra buttons on WinFast TV2000 CoolCommand
remote

>Joe -
>
>Thanks for the heads-up on the updated CoolCommand support in lirc 0.70 - I
haven't been able
>to get it to work yet, but I'm 90% sure it's a Mandrake issue, not a lirc
issue :)

>As to Universal Remotes, there's sort of two levels of functionality:
>
>Most "Universal Remotes" come with a pre-programmed list of supported
components (e.g. Sony
>DVD), each with a 3-4 digit code.  You find your component on the list,
enter the code into
>the remote, and voila, your new remote is working.  Unfortunately, I've
never seen a list
>that includes TV-card remotes.  It's likely that one of the remotes on the
list works
>similarly enough that you could use it, but it would be kind of a pain to
figure out which
>one it was.
>
>The step-up in both functionality and usually price, is the "learning"
remote.  In addition
>to the pre-programmed device support, the remote includes an IR receiver -
you put the remote
>in learning mode, hold up the old remote to the new remote, push a button
on the old remote,
>select a button on the learning remote, and now that button on the new
remote does just what
>the button on the old remote does.

There are also the "JP-1" programmable remotes (see
http://www.hifi-remote.com/), which can be connected to a PC via a special
cable that plugs into your parallel port, and programmed with software.
This gives you the ultimate control over the remote, as you can enable
buttons that might have been disabled in certain modes, and change the codes
emitted by any button.

-JAC