[mythtv-users] extra buttons on WinFast TV2000 CoolCommand remote

Joel McKee Cooper joel at mckooper.com
Sun Aug 24 18:24:50 EDT 2003

Greetings all!

I've been configuring lirc for my WinFast TV2000 CoolCommand remote
(Y0400046), and I made a small discovery that I thought I'd pass along.

I was a little frustrated with the limited number of buttons, especially
since so many of them are duplicates (e.g., "TV/FM" and "Back" buttons
both send 0x05).  Not only that, but if you look at lircd.conf.tv2000
you'll notice that 5 of the 32 5-bit codes are missing:  0x15, 0x17,
0x1a, 0x1c and 0x1d.  I verified with irrecord that none of the buttons
on the remote send those codes.  Now I won't physically be using the
CoolCommand remote - I've got a universal remote that I'm programming to
do the job, so I figured that I should be able to somehow get my
universal remote to send out those additional five codes.  I thought of
multiple ways of doing that, none of which really sounded worth the time
and effort.  But I'm an engineer, so for lack of a more detailed plan I
figured I'd start by taking apart the CoolCommand :)

Luckily, my destructive nature paid off instantly - upon removing the
case (no screws, just little plastic tabs along side seams) 12 "hidden"
buttons were revealed.  The top cover doesn't have any holes for them,
but they do exist and are functional.  Many of them are just more
duplicates, but five of them do send the missing codes!  Since they're
only accessible with the remote taken apart, they're not particularly
helpful if you plan on using the remote itself.  But for people like me
using a programmable remote instead, this gives access to the full 32
buttons (yes!)

-Joel