[mythtv-users] Re: Has anyone setup v4l2 succesfully?

Colin Armstrong colin at carolnrob.net
Thu Aug 21 10:02:39 EDT 2003

All I can say is that the ATrpms kernel did not work very well for me.
Here were my two problems with it; one, after I used apt-get to install
the ATrpms kernel, I could not use apt-get any more because of it saying
that it was missing two dependencies, one of which was a higher apt-get
version. I checked apt-get itself and it was a higher version than what
it said it wanted. I even told apt-get to run a dependency check and
update anything that it found to be old, but apt-get still did not work.
After I gave up on apt-get, I still tried to use the ATrpms kernel, but
I had more trouble. This time it was with the .config file. I found this
out because after I gave up on apt-get, I tried to compile and install
some of the software that apt-get would not install, manually. I could
not compile this software because I got errors where it could not find
the .config file.
I don't think it was me that made the ATrpms kernel not work because
apt-get downloaded and installed it all for me, but I guess I still
could have done something wrong. If it works for other people, great; it
just did not work for me.
To answer your question about which patch caused all of the problems for
me; my answer is all I know is that it was not the V4L2 patch, because I
patched a kernel with that and it worked fine. It easily could have been
one of the already installed Red Hat patches in the kernel. The Red Hat
kernel may have just not gotten along very well with my stock 2.4.21
kernel that I was using. I don't know.
I do think that it is very good that these are available, because if
they work for even just a few people, then it was worthwile to make
them. The kernel just did not work for me.
Colin