[mythtv-users] Re: Has anyone setup v4l2 succesfully?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 20 23:06:13 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Colin Armstrong wrote:

> Well, the reason I say that the .config was not included with the
> ATrpms
> kernel is because I tried to compile something and it failed because of
> now .config file. Now it easily could have been in a abnormal place,
> but
> at least for me it was not in the normal place.

Not in the normal place? It was in the exact same place(s) Red Hat
always puts their kernel config files... Where else would you expect it
to be?

> Also, sorry for the
> confusion about the kernel recompile; I didn't have to patch the ATrpms
> kernel with V4L2; I had to patch the stock kernel with V4L2.

Okay.

> And about
> it made life worse; I meant that it just made it harder to compile
> software.

A patched kernel shouldn't make it harder to compile software...

> Red Hat patches their kernels so much already that not too
> many things are done normally inside of a Red Hat kernel.

Red Hat does typically backport features from newer kernels, which can
make patching their kernels more difficult than patching vanilla
kernel.org kernels. That's a good reason to use a kernel like those
from ATrpms, where someone intimately familiar with Red Hat's kernel
source has already done the dirty work.

> For me at
> least, the extra patches that are in the ATrpms kernel made the kernel
> even more unstable than usual fore me.

Such as? The extra patches are:

1) Added support for SGI's XFS
2) updated i2c support
3) 3ware Escalade kernel driver
4) v4l2

What of those do you think was causing the problem? The kernels are
otherwise identical to Red Hat's.  I've run several ATrpms kernels on a
number of different systems, and they are all rock-solid. The only
patch I've not touched on is the 3ware driver, since I don't have one
of those cards. I'm sure Axel would appreciate any feedback with
respect to problems with his kernels.

At the very least, you could look at Axel's kernel source and see what
he had to do with Red Hat's stock kernel to patch in v4l2 support.

--Jarod