[mythtv-users] Choices to make...

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Wed Aug 20 16:41:10 EDT 2003

100 mbps should be plenty unless you have a whole lot else going on on
your network. I do 3 mbps MPEG4 streams with little problem over my 11
mbps wireless network for my laptop. Given what you are trying to do I'd
say drop the tuners into your storage server or even the backup. MY main
reasoning is to cut down on two way traffic. If the tuners are in the
frontend they have to send all the data to the backend across the
network and then turn around and send some or all of it right back out.
Whereas with the cards in the backend servers it goes straight from the
card to the hard drive then out to the frontend. Should cut your live tv
bandwidth in half. Plus it gives you more options for small quiet
frontends. BTW, I just noticed your question, obviously the answer is
yes it does encode, write to disk, then decode for live TV. Also, if
you're getting all PVR 250's there's little reason to not have them on
the backend as the CPU overhead should be fairly low and shouldn't tax
them much at all. Anyway, those are my thoughts. Good luck. Either way
you'll have a very nice setup.

Jason Schloer